Chayote in English or known as Sechium Edule – an edible plant just like melons cucumbers and squash.
- Does not need to be peeled
- Can be eaten raw in salad
- It can be boiled
- It can be stuffed
- It can be mashed
- It can be baked
- It can be fried or pickled
- Both the fruit (vegetable) and the seed are rich in amino acids and vitamin C
- The leaves and fruit have diuretic, cardiovascular and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Tea made from the leaves has been used in the treatment of arteriosclerosis and hypertension and to dissolve kidney stones.