• Peanuts contain beneficial protein, but many people are allergic to them and find them hard to digest.
• They also contain aflatoxin, a carcinogenic, which may explain why peanut farmers have been found to have disproportionately high rates of cancer.
• Peanuts are high in fungus and, often, pesticides.
They do not contain any omega-3, which can contribute to distorting your omega-6: omega-3 ratio.
• The peanut is actually a legume, not a nut (which is why they are often roasted).
• Peanuts contain about the same amount of protein as soy and are low in starchy carbohydrates.
• Did you know? George Washington Carver was largely responsible for popularizing the peanut as a food in America.